TimeClick Automatically Totals your Employee Time Records – Try It Free Today
Below, we have provided a free download of an employee timesheet that can be printed and used to manually keep employee time records. This sheet is set up to track employee hours on weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, or monthly schedules. You can easily track breaks, along with daily and weekly overtime calculations. We have included suggestions for calculating manual time cards and best practices as well.
How to calculate hours from paper time records
- Change am/pm entries into military time. Example 8:27am becomes 0827 and 1:35 pm becomes 1335.
- Place time entries in reverse order. For example, if an employee clocked in at 8:27 am, began a lunch break at 12:41 pm, came back from break at 1:35 pm then went home at 5:00 pm, the order of the entries would be 1700, 1335,1241,0827.
- Subtract the hours for the clock in times from the clock out times, then add the two totals together. Example 17 – 13 = 5 and 12 – 8 = 4 then add the new totals. 5 + 4 = 9
- Now do the same calculation for the minutes. Example 00 – 35 = -35 and 41 – 27 = 14 then add the totals -35 + 14 = -21.
- Now add total minutes (which in this case are negative) to the total hours. In our example 9 hours plus a negative 21 minutes equals 8 hours and 39 minutes.
- Repeat this process for each day the employee worked, then sum to get the total hours worked for the pay period.
- Figure overtime for each day or for the week.
- Change hours and minutes for the regular hours and overtime hours into decimal hours. To do this by dividing the minutes by 60 and add the result to the total hours. Example 39 ÷ 60 = .65 then 8 + .65 = 8.65.
- Multiply the total regular hours by the hourly rate and then multiply the overtime hours by 1.5 times the hourly rate and add those two numbers together to get the total amount the employee earned.
Paper time keeping best practices
- Require an employee and manager signature on each sheet. Should any type of labor dispute or law suit ever arise, signed, accurate time records will be invaluable evidence.
- Store records in one central location. This helps to prevent any unauthorized manipulation or lost time cards.
- Set a deadline to complete and turn in hours. Deadlines help to ensure management receives the hours in a timely manner, leaving adequate time to process payroll.
- Fill out time records in pen and establish a corrections process when mistakes are made. Employees will certainly make errors, but having an established process for how to correct errors will ensure you get accurate time cards.
- Establish a rounding policy. Decide as a company if and how you will round clock in an out times. Rounding to the nearest 5, 10, or 15 minutes prevents clock watching and makes the time calculations easier, but it doesn’t provide the same level of accuracy as rounding to the nearest minute.
- Require employees to sign in and out as they enter or exit the premises. Do not allow an early or late sign in without manager approval.
Benefits of automating with time card software
- Accuracy – A computer program captures the exact time an employee clocks in or out, down to the millisecond. This ensures you are paying employees for the exact time they are working. The automated reporting ensures no calculation errors occur which inevitably will occur with hand calculations.
- Time savings – The process for manually adding up time is slow and tedious. With the click of your mouse, software can do the calculations that used to take hours, in mere seconds.
- Ease of use – Human nature tends to resist change. However, a software program is so much easier to use than paper and pencil that your employees will be wondering why the change wasn’t made years ago.
- Real time data – Data drives business decision making. Get your employee data in real time to quickly make decisions about scheduling, staffing, and overtime allocation.
- Accrual tracking – Paper time cards limit the number and types of hours you can manage. Software will allow you to track vacation, sick, paid time off, bereavement, break, holiday, and other time, along with regular employee hours.
TimeClick provides all the benefits listed above, plus many more at an affordable one-time purchase price. We are so confident that you will love our product, we offer an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee with each purchase. See how much time and money your business can save by using the TimeClick timesheet program.